A history of St Michael and All Angels, Spencers Wood
The church in Spencers Wood serves a large and growing community including the former parish of Grazeley. The church of St Michael and All Angels was built in 1908 on land given by Henry Lannoy Hunter of Beech Hill who also made a substantial contribution to the building costs. A stone inscribed to his memory can be found in the church.
The building was designed by the architect, Mr Spencer Slingsby Stallwood, FSA of Reading, and was built by Mr Charles Aldridge of Spencers Wood. The church was dedicated by Francis, Bishop of Oxford on Michaelmas Day 1908. The Reverend F J Lewarne was appointed Curate in Charge.
In 1913 the ecclesiastical parish of Spencers Wood was formed and St Michael's obtained independence from Shinfield and became a parish church in its own right. The Reverend Lewarne was instituted as the first Vicar on 27th April 1914.
St Michael’s celebrated its centenary in 2008 with a service led by Rt Revd John Pritchard, then Bishop of Oxford.
Holy Trinity Church, Grazeley (now closed)
Opened in 1850, the 14th century style Church of England parish church of the Holy Trinity was built through the efforts of the Rev'd George Hulme (the incumbent of Trinity Church, Reading and who lived in Shinfield) and Mr William Merry, a local landowner who lived at Highlands, Spencers Wood. It was built to designs by the architect Benjamin Ferry in the decorated style and it consists of a chancel, nave, north vestry, south porch and belfry with a single bell.
Inside the Church, an oak tablet on the north wall remembers the local men who lost their lives during the two World Wars with the inscription:
Ye that live on in English Pastures Green,
Remember us and think what might have been
The churchyard is the final resting place for many local residents, landowners and their families.
Holy Trinity held its last service and closed its doors in January 2006 after 156 years of serving the community and the congregation is now served by St Michael and All Angels, Spencers Wood.